New York: Tola CR, Obiri Double +Bowerman Departures, Kiptum did what?!
A course record fell at the 2023 TCS New York City Marathon but it wasn't the one everyone expected as Tamirat Tola became the first man under 2:05 in NY running 2:04:58. Hellen Obiri showed she's a marathon star as she outkicked Letesenbet Gidey to complete the Boston-NY double. We break it all down.
There were more departures from the Bowerman Track Club, we assess its situation, and Kelvin Kiptum is going to run the Rotterdam Marathon. Did he turn down a mega payday from London?
Want electrolytes without the junk? Try DrinkLMNT today. Money-back guarantee. https://drinklmnt.com/letsrun
- Show notes:0:00 Find a better running shoe: https://www.letsrun.com/shoes
- 0:45 Try Drink LMNT Electrolytes without the junk https://drinklmnt.com/letsrun
- 01:34 Start
- 02:59 Women's race in NY defies expectations
- 03:10 Rojo's guarantee falls apart
- 11:26 How good was final mile?
- 18:56 Should Gidey have changed her tactics?
- 22:28 Gidey's tics / Wejo's confession
- 28:21 Only 14 women in elite field
- 34:44 The Americans Kellyn Taylor and Molly Huddle
- 37:28 Men's race: Tamirat Tola 2:05:48 Course Record
- 42:59 What happened to the wall?
- 50:32 Which is tougher NY or Boston?
- 53:28 Edward Cheserek's debut
- 54:44 Cam Levins DNF, Cheserek citizenship quest
- 01:06:43 Galen Rupp praised for his broadcasting insight
- 01:14:33 Bus nearly runs over US 5k runners *Video here
- 01:17:00 Has Bowerman lost its luster? - Cranny leaving and Kincaid speaks
- 01:32:06 Olympic Trials start time
- 01:33:59 Kelvin Kiptum 7 figure appearance fee?
Contact us: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 1-844-LETSRUN podcast voicemail/text line.
Want a 2nd podcast every week? And savings on running shoes? Join our Supporters Club today and get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week, savings on running shoes, and a lot more. Cancel at anytime. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
Thanks for listening. Please rate us on itunes and spread the word with a friend. There is a reason we're the #1 podcast dedicated to Olympic level running.