Will Sumner (Guest), Oslo, Birnbaum is King, Panic time for USAs?
Will Sumner, the 19-year-old University of Georgia super freshman, who won NCAAs with a a 1:44.26 negative split and is taking on the proc this weekend at the NYC Grand Prix joins us at 76:57 to discuss his breakout year and future plans.
Prior to that we breakdown the week in running with the crazy fast 1500 (Jakob Ingebrigtsen 3:27 PB) and 5000m times (12:41 x 2) at the Oslo Bislett Games, discuss the success of the OAC, Yared Nuguse and remind everyone that USAs are just 2+ weeks away. Who should start to panic?
Plus high school nationals and Simeon Birnbaum winning the dream mile and "shushing" the crowd.
Show notes below:
Every sports fan needs a VPN. And NordVPN is the one we were using before they offered to pay us to promote it. Money-back guarantee. https://letsrun.com/vpn
Stay hydrated. Get electrolytes without the junk. Try DrinkLMNT today. No sugar. No dodgy ingredients. https://drinklmnt.com/letsrun
Want a 2nd podcast every week? And savings on running shoes? Join our Supporters Club today and get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week, savings on running shoes, and a lot more. Cancel at anytime. Use code CLUB25 to save 25%: https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
- Show notes:
- 00:00 Start
- 04:12 Jon's 10th-year reunion
- 06:26 Join the Supporters Club
- 08:24 Did Kiplimo really get 2nd? *photo
- 13:21 12:41 5000m x 2
- 18:54 What explains all the fast 1500m times this year?
- 24:39 Post of week
- 27:51 Jakob is more likely to get beat in 5000 or 1500?
- 32:54 Rojo's contrarian take of week - is OAC underperforming?
- 37:56 Did Yared Nuguse get the American record?
- 45:28 USAs are 2 weeks away should Schweizer, Cranny, Jager, Rogers, Mu be worried?
- 46:37 There is no 1500m at NYC Grand Prix for Athing Mu to run *thread
- 58:44 Birnbaum wins Dream high school mile and shushes Leo Young and the crowd
- 01:09:04 Shove at high school nationals
- 01:09:54 Issam Asinga still chasing legal sub 10
- 01:15:00 Will Sumner racing the pros at NYC Grand Prix, Athing Mu entered in 1500 but no 1500 in meet
- 76:57 Will Sumner (Guest)
- 01:18:58 Start in the sport
- 01:23:29 Deciding to go to Georgia
- 01:27:05 Indoors
- 01:28:48 Outdoors, struggling at Mt. Sac
- 01:33:27 Thought process heading into NCAAs
- 01:36:49 He talks us through NCAA race
- 01:41:50 Thoughts on winning NCAAs
- 01:44:56 His training
- 01:48:01 His parents running background
- 01:48:37 Go pro or stay in school?
- 01:51:45 Cross country in high school
- 01:52:56 His big workout before NCAAs
- 01:55:26 His dad posting on the LetsRun.com forums and Will thanking his parents
- 01:58:02 Where does he want to be in a year?
- 02:00:59 The shoes
Contact us: Email email@example.com or call/text 1-844-LETSRUN podcast voicemail/text line.
Want a 2nd podcast every week? And savings on running shoes? Join our Supporters Club today and get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week (the Friday 15 - which is usually much more than 15 minutes), savings on running shoes, and a lot more. Cancel at anytime. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
Thanks for listening. Please rate us on itunes and spread the word with a friend. There is a reason we're the #1 podcast dedicated to Olympic level running.
Find out more at http://podcast.letsrun.com
Send us your feedback online: https://pinecast.com/feedback/letsrun/4230f4b7-4637-4254-b09a-3d6f2a3bbd26
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.