Frank Shorter 1972 Olympic Marathon Gold 50th Anniversary Podcast
Frank Shorter joined us on Tuesday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of his 1972 Olympic Marathon gold medal in Munich that helped jump-start the running boom in America. We're re-releasing this today with show notes, on the 50th anniversary, so you can have it as a stand-alone podcast.
Frank talks about his Olympic gold, and a lot more, what he most remembers from the 1972 Olympics, training with Pre, anti-doping, his training, and how much he's running these days.
Video here: https://youtu.be/iKovNBktq5c
- Show notes: 11:25 Training with Prefontaine, focusing on strengths 16:32 Rooming with Dave Wottle 1972 800m gold medallist
- 22:20 1972 Massacre
- 28:17 The running boom with Bill Rodgers and the crazy 1966 dual meet with Wesleyan
- 34:49 The running camaraderie in the 1970s and how professionalization changed it
- 41:35 Anti-doping now vs 20 years ago vs 50 years ago
- 50:51 1976 silver, Frank thinking Waldemar Cierpinski was Carlos Lopes
- 57:56 How fast could he run with a pacer and supershoes
- 64:48 Telling Steve Prefontaine he was "stupid" at 1972 Olympics
- 69:41 Altitude training with Pre, Pre's ski accident
- 74:40 Yale cross country and Frank dropping out of Yale-Harvard meet
- 81:44 His running now. How fast could he run a mile now?
- 83:26 The toughest runner he ever competed against
- 86:14 A sample week of training
- 93:05 What he remembers most about 1972 Olympics 01:33:59 Frank's #1 piece of running advice
Contact us: Email email@example.com or call 1-844-LETSRUN and hit option 7 for the secret podcast voicemail.
Join our Supporters Club and take your running fandom to the highest level. Get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week, savings on running shoes, and a lot more. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
Thanks for listening. Please rate us on itunes and spread the word with a friend. There is a reason we're the #1 podcast dedicated to Olympic level running.
Send us your feedback online: https://pinecast.com/feedback/letsrun/5468d032-9d90-4c9a-b190-206b118a13e8