Phenoms & Busts, Emily Sisson AR, Diamond League Kickoff and Track and Field Superfan Derek Rubis
The Diamond League kicks off in Doha on Friday with the return of Donavan Brazier. Jakob Ingebrigtsen got a nice 5k win in America and had some interesting comments afterward on teen phenoms and the Olympic letdown.
Emily Sisson's assault on the roads got her the American half-marathon record, will the full marathon be next?
Track and field super fan Derek Rubis joins us at 79:25 to talk about his battle with cancer, the state of the sport, share some words of inspiration, and make a bold, bold prediction.
Show notes below:
Compression Boots Without the Wires! Therabody RecoveryAir JetBoots The next generation in recovery. Free 60-day money-back guarantee trial. Exclusive FastFlush technology, RecoveryAir flushes out metabolic waste more fully and brings back fresh blood to your legs at three times the speed of competitors. https://www.therabody.com/letsrun to try today. (Sponsor)
Join the most exclusive club in running - The LetsRun.com Supporters Club (the club that pays for itself). Get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week, savings on running shoes, and a lot more. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
- Show notes:
- 0:00 Summer Training Program is here
- 2:37 "B" team season is over - Diamond League starts Friday
- 4:53 Sound Running 5k - Jakob Ingebrigtsen delivers, Abdihamid Nur NCAA record?
- 17:58 Jakob's post-race comments on the Olympic let down (podcast Wejo talked about here)
- 24:33 Jakob's comments on Newbury Park - "13:40, 13:20. That's nothing compared to the bigger picture"
- 25:32 Struggling ex phenoms- not all excel as pros Lawi Lalang, Edward Cheserek, Drew Hunters all struggling
- 28:45 Rojo says Drew Hunter is done
- 31:39 Kip Keino Classic - Marcell Jacobs pulls out - was he really sick? Ferdinand Omanyala upsets Fred Kerley
- 41:19 Should Kenya host a Worlds?
- 45:26 Allie Wilson world leader continues strong year for Atlanta Track Club
- 48:40 Emily Sisson breaks American record in half marathon. Will she get marathon record next?
- 55:49 Jon rants about USATF Half Marathon champs being thinly promoted
- 58:12 Cooper Teare solos the World Standard. Is he the US 1500m favorite?
- 63:34 Message board thread of week: How many Americans will join sub 13:00 5k club in next 3 years?
- 68:02 Amazing finish at Kentucky Derby
- 68:57 Pro Thursday Night Track and Field on ESPN2 from Puerto Rico - Elaine Thompson-Herah headlines
- 70:47 Diamond League Doha preview- Donavan Brazier's 1st 800 since Olympic Trials, stacked men's 1500, a lot, lot more
- 79:25 Track and field super fan - Derek Rubis, aka The Hub of Distance Running on his battle with cancer, the current state of track and field and more.
Contact us: Email email@example.com or call/text 1-844-LETSRUN.
Thanks for listening. Please rate us on itunes and spread the word with a friend. There is a reason we're the #1 podcast dedicated to Olympic level running.