Bonus: Dan Michalski - Living the Dream - From Working at Walmart, Wearing the LetsRun Singlet, to the Olympics?
We've got a bonus pod for everyone, as part of our Where Your Dreams Become Reality series.
Daniel Michalski was a baseball player and band member for most of his high school career. Then he tried track and cross country and he has taken the more circuitous route to the top ranks of the sport. He won a a DII NCAA title for Cedarville. He nearly won a DI for Indiana but fell over the final barrier.
Unsponsored, during COVID at one point he was working at Walmart to help support his wife Abby. When she got pregnant, he wanted to find a job with insurance, and that led him to coaching in Texas, training solo, a new coach of his own and a return to the top of the sport.
He was the most gracious 4th placer we've ever seen at the 2020 Olympic Trials, and now has his eyes set on the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Show notes below.
Be Like Dan and Join the Supporters Club Today. Get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week (the Friday 15), savings on running shoes, and a lot more. Cancel at anytime. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
- Show notes: 01:44 Start
- 03:59 The LetsRuncom singlet arrives
- 06:24 From baseball to marching band to nearly making the Olympics
- 13:50 College career at Cedarville
- 17:12 Nearly winning NCAAs for Indiana
- 21:28 Getting married
- 24:33 Covid, working at Walmart, and the Working Man's Track Club
- 26:23 Having a kid and coaching at LeTourneau University
- 28:37 Nick Willis and Marck Misch step in
- 33:56 The breakthrough
- 37:56 4th at the Trials and the best reaction ever
- 43:54 2022 season, beating Jager at USAs and the fall at USAs
- 50:59 Joining the Air Force?
- 53:28 Training at altitude
- 54:24 Racing in Houston and wearing the LetsRun.com singlet
Contact us: Email email@example.com or call/text 1-844-LETSRUN podcast voicemail/text line.
Want a 2nd podcast every week? And savings on running shoes? Join our Supporters Club today and get all the LetsRun.com content, a second podcast every week (the Friday 15 - which is usually much more than 15 minutes), savings on running shoes, and a lot more. Cancel at anytime. https://www.letsrun.com/subscribe
Thanks for listening. Please rate us on itunes and spread the word with a friend. There is a reason we're the #1 podcast dedicated to Olympic level running.
Find out more at http://podcast.letsrun.com
Send us your feedback online: https://pinecast.com/feedback/letsrun/f800b61d-b05b-4592-a80d-b7874f2b5dbf
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.